When I was 19, I tried marijuana for the first time. It still shocks me how quickly I became totally dependant upon drugs.  By age 21 the focus of my life was getting high and partying. I worked during the week and partied al I weekend. This lifestyle made me feel empty inside. I began to question if this was all there was to life.  

By age 21 the focus of my life was getting high and partying. I worked during the week and partied al l weekend. This lifestyle made me feel empty inside. I began to question if this was all there was to life.  the drugs and alcohol I could with the money I had. I spent $600 and went on a three day drug and alcohol binge.  Sunday afternoon I was smoking the last of the marijuana I had bought. I was looking at going back to work on Monday and felt empty, discouraged, and depressed. I had thousands of dollars of credit card debt, a car payment, and a house payment all overdue and I had spent my whole paycheck on drugs.

I needed help so I called several hotline numbers and tried to get set up for detox. The soonest they could take me was .two weeks and the latest was as long as four months. I couldn’t
wait that long. I was desperate. I went to work to ask if they would give me some paid time off to detox and they handed me my pink slip. I began to freak out.  I went to my friend’s house and when she opened the door she took one look at me and said, “What’s the matter, Scott?” Those words pushed me over the edge and I began shaking uncontrollably and hyperventilating. I fell to the floor and rolled up in the fetal position and wouldn’t respond to anyone.

After I calmed down I called a pastor who prayed for me. At that moment I totally surrendered my life to the Lord. I repented and when I stood up I was as light as a feather.  Two weeks later I was in Teen Challenge. I entered the program on Friday. The following Sunday I was ready to quit. I called home and my brother answered the phone. I told him that I didn’t want to stay in Teen Challenge. He said, “Just a minute, I’ll get Mom on the phone.” That’s the last person I wanted to talk to. She cried for 45 minutes and finally I said, “Okay! I’ll stay.”

It was a long and hard month and I decided I was still going to leave. I called my Dad at work and told him to pick me up on Interstate 45. The only way I knew to get home from Teen Challenge
was to take the freeway by way of foot. The only way I knew to get home to Racine was to take 45 south to 894. So that’s what I did. I started walking.  I didn’t know it was illegal to walk on the freeway. My dad came whizzing across two lanes of traffic and picked me up. He drove me directly back to Teen Challenge. As we sat in the office with Pastor John, Donn pointed out that I was free to leave; I was not involved in the court system. Dad said, ‘Well, let’s take a look at your options, Scott. You signed your car over to me, so you don’t have a car. Your house was already in our name and we sold it, so you don’t have any place to live, and you don’t have a job.”

When I looked at it this way, I realized I really only had once choice to make. At that moment I decided instead of skating through this program and going back to my stupid life I would apply myself to
getting the most out of it. I went to second phase in Pennsylvania. When I was leaving after ten months, r looked back and knew that I was leaving a very important phase of my life. I was going back into society and would have to put into practice what I had learned. I didn’t know what I would be doing or, really, where I was going but I knew that no matter where I went, I would not be going alone. I would be under His protection.

I had learned that being a Christian was far more than praying or going to church every Sunday. It is a lifestyle and a lifelong commitment to Christ. It’s something I will be doing until the day I die.
Scott graduated from Teen Challenge in 2004, and later went on to work on staff for two years.